Friday, November 13, 2009

Free Pattern Friday: Heart Afghan and Pillow Crochet Pattern

Heart Afghan and Pillow


For this week’s Free Pattern Friday, I picked this Heart Afghan and Pillow crochet pattern because I wanted to try something new—the afghan stitch.

Afghan Hooks


When I found these hooks with one end like a knitting needle in a box of goodies someone gave me, I didn’t know what they were used for. That was back when I kept to myself and stayed at home and crocheted. All I knew was what I had been taught and learned on my own. Then I started going public with my crochet and ventured into a yarn shop and started hanging out with people that liked the same things that I liked, and I learned about different techniques and crochet stitches. That was when I found out what these hooks were used for. I’ve never had a chance to learn the afghan stitch, and here’s my chance to learn with this free pattern.

MyAfghanStitchBlock


This is really fun, and it reminds me of crochet on the double, except you don’t have two colors, and you don’t turn your work. I love how you can see the squares that will have the cross stitches in them to make the heart pattern.

How many of you have used the afghan stitch, and how do you like it?