Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wednesday, 4/28/10 Design Contest Piece for Knit and Crochet Show 2010

I am close to being finished with my design contest piece for the July Knit and Crochet Show in Manchester, New Hampshire. I wanted to share with you my method of madness. I had purchased some skeins of Deborah Norville’s sock yarn “Paprika” and was thinking about making another pair of crocheted socks. All of a sudden, I got to thinking about the design contest and the Spring International Quilt Market that my sister Jackie is going to in a few months (without me) and how one of the designs in her new line of fabric looks like my granny square throw that I made for her. I thought about what would it look like if I made a giant granny square with the sock yarn…Then I thought about the halter tops that I made when I was 15 years old and in high school.

Haltertop
It was a halter top made from a man’s big red handkerchief. I turned it on point and tied it in the back and then folded over the top flap and sewed it down and made a little pocket to thread a shoelace through, and I tied the shoelace at the back of my neck. (Yes, believe it or not that was me at 15 years of age.) That was my thought process for my design contest piece, and I hope my sister likes wearing it as much as I liked designing it.

2010 Design Contest Piece
Is anyone else entering something in the Design Contest?