Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Green Bean Snapping

Green Beans


On one of our recent trips to the Farmer’s Market, I couldn’t resist a couple of bags of these green beans. They brought back memories of when I was a child. We had several farm families in our neighborhood, and my mother would buy vegetables from them. She traded services for vegetables, too.

When it was time to harvest green beans, especially, she would tell the farmer’s wives (two that I can remember) that she would can their green beans if they would provide the jars, lids, and rings in trade for green beans for our family. Then, she would bring home the wooden bushel baskets rounded up with green beans for us to snap.

I’m sure I complained about snapping green beans at the time, but all I remember is that it was fun sitting around with my sister and mom snapping green beans. I was flooded with good memories as I snapped this small basket of green beans for my family. I have to go and see my mom and thank her for teaching me to snap green beans. Did anyone else ever snap green beans as a child and do you still snap green beans?