Monday, February 15, 2010

Hexagon Baby Jacket

First Jacket

About a year ago, the knitting community at my LYS started making an Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Baby Surprise Jacket. I thought it was very cute, but I didn’t want to make it because it was knitted. Then, my friend Pam brought this really cool crocheted Hexagon Baby Jacket to one of our guild meetings.

From This

To This

She showed us how when you fold the hexagon just right it makes a front and a sleeve and then you make two hexagons and sew them together with a back seam and two shoulder seams. Well I didn’t think too much about it until I saw Molly’s (one of the members here on Crochet Soiree) hexagon baby jacket. I thought hmmmm…I have some more yarn left over from the granny square swap, so I went and found some fun colors and started making the hexagon. I ran out of that yarn and decided to make a patchwork type hexagon square for the other side.

Second Jacket

The first one was so much fun I decided to make another one. The details are what take me so long. The fabric to reinforce the buttons, and, of course, a label, and don’t forget about the buttons. The second jacket that I made, I ended up crocheting around buttons to get the right color. That’s what is so fun about crochet. You can crochet over something like a button and make it a different color.

Patons Grace Jacket

Then, I thought wouldn’t this look cute in a smaller version, so I had to make one out of Patons Grace yarn. I think it turned out really cute, and I think this one going to go to our newest grandson who’s named after my dear husband, John. I have Molly to thank for inspiring me to try making this cute little Hexagon Baby jacket.