Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday, 3/6/10 Joshua’s Second Crocheted Scarf

Little Scarf Imperfection

Joshua has completed his second scarf, and it’s already around the neck of the recipient that lives in New York City, and she goes to the school where Joshua is to attend next year. He worked diligently on it the weekend before Valentine’s Day in order for him to get it to her before Valentine’s Day.

He’s been rehearsing for the play “Footloose” since January, and we’ve had a hard time finding the time together for me to explain an edging to him. When I’m awake, he’s not, and when he’s awake, I’m not. You know how that goes? It was cute…he was so worried about one place on the edge where it looked a little different. I texted him and told him to try putting a single crochet edging all the way around. He tried that and stopped because it didn’t look perfect to him. He wanted my opinion before he continued on. When I got home that evening, I ripped out the single crochets and placed 1 sc, ch 2, skip 2 stitches, 1 sc all the way around, and it seemed to do the trick of hiding that little imperfection.

Joshuas Second Scarf

But of course, I let him be the judge of whether it was hidden enough when he got home that evening. And much to my surprise, he was pleased, and the scarf went in the mail the next day. He said he had thought about something similar, but was afraid to try it. I encouraged him to just to go ahead, and if it didn’t work out, he could always rip it out and start over. With time, he will have the confidence to just go with his instincts--especially when his momma isn’t there to help so much anymore. What do you think?