Friday, May 8, 2009

Crochet Guild

My first encounter with any guild was when my sister asked me to go to the Prairie Quilt Guild meeting with her, here in Wichita. I visited quite a few times, and then it was time to join or never come back. She chose to pay for my membership (because she was really trying to convert me to quilting). Ha! Ha! I have been a member for about 4 years now and am paying for my own membership in the group, and the feeling of being with a group of women and men that love to create is still so exciting for me.

But I wanted to know if anyone out there loved to crochet as much as I did!

My sister suggested that I "Google" about crochet guilds. So I did. Guess what I found? The Crochet Guild of America (CGOA) website. I think I immediately signed up. They have a button to look for guilds in your state, and I selected that button hoping to find one close to me. Again, I found one, and much to my surprise, it was right here in Wichita.

Guild Ladies Meeting

Here are some of the guild members gathered at our local yarn shop for our monthly meeting.

The local guild I found is called KS (Kiss) My Stitch. Meetings were and are still held every 3rd Monday of the month (with some exceptions) at 10:00 am. I was so sad and discouraged at the time because I didn't think there was any way I could go as I work during the day. Anyway, I started receiving my magazine Crochet! Each issue, I read from front to back. In one of the Local Chapter Newsletter articles, I saw that KS My Stitch was going to attempt to meet the high demand to open up their meetings in the evening.

I couldn't wait until the 3rd Monday to get arrive. My sister told me that she would go with me. I barged into that meeting and found a friend in Lana Bennett the founder of the group. What a neat lady she is. She has numerous published patterns, and she is a wonderful writer of stories. I could listen to her forever. She had been President for many years and had just taken over as Secretary/Treasurer in 2007.

One day I received a call from Lana, and she asked if I would be interested in taking on the position of Secretary/Treasurer. I gladly stepped in and took it over. I asked my bosses if it was ok for me to take a couple of hours in the morning of every 3rd Monday of the month and make it up on my lunch hours through the week. They agreed. So I continued in that position until the end of the year when it was time to elect new officers.

Lana again called on me to see if I would be interested in running for one of the offices. I jumped at the chance and told her that I would love to be President. She said she would present it to the outgoing officers and suggested two more people for the other positions. We were voted in at the next meeting.

Guild Officers


That's me, the Guild President, in the center with Rosina our Secretary/Treasurer and Wendy our Vice President.

I am now into my second year of holding the President position, and I love it more and more. It is a lot of work but very rewarding. The friendships that are made in groups that love the same things you do are life long. I can't tell you how much this has helped my self esteem, and how much I have enjoyed the discovery that there are other people out there that love to crochet just as much as I do. I encourage anyone that wants to join a group to join and get involved.

Do any of you already belong to a guild or just an informal crochet group? Please tell me about activities.

Are you looking for a group? Here's some information off of the CGOA website:

The CGOA membership includes:
  • Six issues of Crochet! magazine. (per year)
  • Entry in the Annual CGOA Design Contest
  • Professionally taught classes with discounts at annual CGOA conferences
  • CGOA e-News, plus Chain Link Newsletter within each issue of Crochet! magazine
  • Chat with other crocheters on the CGOA Member Message Board
  • CGOA Web site resources including free patterns, and more
  • Membership in local guild chapters worldwide
  • New National discounts (redemption details in Members area of www.Crochet.org)
- Annie's Attic, 15% discount on AnniesAttic.com purchases
- Interweave Crochet, special offer $19/year subscription
- Leisure Arts Boutique, $3 off shipping at theleisureboutique.com
- Mary Maxim, Inc., 10% discount by internet, mail, or phone
- ShopCaron.com, 15% discount on ShopCaron.com orders

To become a member of CGOA, enroll online at www.Crochet.org or contact:
CGOA, 1100-H Brandywine Blvd., Zanesville, OH 43701-7303; e-mail:
CGOA@Offinger.com; phone: 740-452-4541; Fax: 740-452-2552.

The main purpose of the Crochet Guild of America is to educate the public about crochet, provide education and networking opportunities, and set a national standard for the quality, art, and skill of crochet through creative endeavors.

Membership in the CGOA is open to all those who love crochet. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced crocheter, you are invited to join CGOA.