Friday, May 15, 2009

Free Pattern Friday: Gooseberry Patch "Berry" Cute Coaster!

Gooseberry Patch Berry Cute Coaster


Guess what! Every Friday, I'm going to try and introduce or at least spotlight one of Crochet Soiree's Free Patterns. And in honor of Spring and strawberry season, for our first Free Pattern Friday ever, I've picked this Gooseberry Patch "Berry" Cute Coaster!

When I saw this free strawberry coaster pattern, I couldn’t help but think about one of the members of our KS My Stitch Guild. The member that I’m talking about is a retired man who happens to love to crochet and square dance. He and his wife square dance at the Senior Citizen Center and attend the square dance convention held here in Wichita.

Bob's Strawberry


His name is Bob, and he likes to crochet strawberries. He has kept a count of every one that he has made, and the number's in the upper hundreds. It isn’t exactly like the pattern that we are giving away, but it’s based on the same principal. When I first started going to guild meetings, Bob would give a strawberry hot pad to every new person that attended. Bob is a very interesting man and has children and grandchildren that he crochets for. They receive a baby afghan per family for births, and they receive a crocheted gift when they complete school and when they get married. We love having Bob as a member of our group.

Strawberries


I couldn't resist playing with this free pattern myself. Of course, I had to experiment. I completed two strawberries out of different sizes and colors of yarn. I don’t crochet with red very often and love to make patterns in different colors, so I chose pink. I was a little apprehensive when I first decided to make them. I thought maybe I would have to make two pieces and then sew them together, but the pattern is really cool, and it comes together all by itself. You will see once you start making it. What a fun thing to give as a gift or just to keep for your own summer table setting. I can’t wait to see how you’re going to make your strawberries.

Gooseberry Patch: Fun-to-Crochet Gifts


If you like this "Berry" Cute Coaster, check out the how-to book it came from, Gooseberry Patch: Fun-to-Crochet Gifts, for more inspiration!