Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I would like to honor some of the mothers that I know. Some of them are not crochet people, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t appreciate the art of crochet. In no particular order, here are some of the special mothers in my life:

Debbie (My Best Friend)


Debbie (My Best Friend)
We’ve been friends since grade school and get together on our birthdays and throughout the year for lunch. She is the one that has been with me through my marriages, children, death, and weddings. A very special mother of three and grandmother of five, she is also a manager of a mobile home park here in Wichita, and she loves to crochet, too. I am very proud of Debbie and what she has accomplished in her life.

Jennifer (My Daughter)


Jennifer (My Daughter)
She is very special to me because she is my daughter, and I am so proud of her. A single parent of my beautiful granddaughter Megan, she works as a certified nurses assistant on the third shift at one of the hospitals here in Wichita. She works weekends only so that her ex-husband and family can care for Megan during work hours. I admire her for working all of that out, and I know that it’s hard sometimes. What I really love about Jennifer is that she loves people no matter what age, and she loves crochet! I can’t take credit for teaching her, but I think I have encouraged her along the way. (The handsome young man is my son Joshua, isn’t he cute?)

Rosina (Co-Worker/Good Friend)


Rosina (Co-Worker/Good Friend)
She is a wonderful mother and wife. I work with her, and we have held office with our local crochet guild for the past two years. She has two daughters and three granddaughters. I am so proud to call her my friend. She loves to quilt, sew, do counted cross stitch, crochet, and knit. Thank you, Rosina, for all that you do for me!

Karma (President/Owner of the company that I work for)


Karma (President/Owner of the company that I work for)
She is a mother of three and also the owner of a multi-million dollar company. I am honored to work for, and with, her. I would like to thank her for allowing me to work for her company for fourteen years. Although she doesn’t crochet, she is always wants to see all the things that I am making. Her interests are her children, husband, and competing in triathlons. Karma is just simply amazing.

Leann (Co-Worker)


Leann (Co-Worker)
Leann is an environmental project manager at the company where I work. She’s a mother of a two year old. She loves to scrapbook in her free time.

Diane (Special Friend)


Diane (Special Friend)
She’s a mother of three and has a granddaughter. Diane works for a drug and alcohol rehab facility and likes to knit and crochet. We love to talk about designs and bounce ideas off of each other.

Shelly (Owner of Twist Yarn Shop)


Shelly (Owner of Twist Yarn Shop)
Shelly’s a mother of two beautiful children and the mother to many of the crocheters and knitters that visit her shop. She’s a teacher of many, and I can never thank her enough for all the she has done for me in my adventures in crochet.

Cori (Friend)


Cori (Friend)
She is a mother of three. This busy lady works for the newspaper, teaches at the university, and teaches crochet at Twist. She is a crocheter and has just recently taken up knitting. Congratulations, Cori, for being able to step outside your comfort zone and learn something new.

Sheri (Good Friend)


Sheri (Good Friend)
A mother of one, Sheri loves to quilt, sew and crochet. She belongs to the quilt guild and crochet guild. She is a very beautiful and intelligent person. I am honored to call her my friend.

Jackie (My Sister and Friend)


Jackie (My Sister and Friend)
She is a mother of three and has one granddaughter. Jackie loves to sew, quilt, and scrapbook, but she crochets only when she has to. I love her anyway. I am so proud of her; she has designed two lines of fabric and her own line sewing patterns, Jackie Clark Designs. We’ve been through a lot together, but that’s a story in itself. I appreciate all the encouragement she has given me.

Ruth (My Mother)


Ruth (My Mother)


Ruth (My Mother)
Isn’t she still as beautiful as she was in high school? My mother is very special to me, and I know I don’t tell her that enough. She’s the mother of five, grandmother to seventeen, and great grandmother of eighteen, with one more on the way. I grew up with the humming of the sewing machine, the swishing of the crochet hook, clanking of knitting needles, and the noise that the sewing needle and thread make pulling through a piece of fabric in an embroidery hoop. She made all of mine and my sister’s dresses and my brothers' shirts. She passed down her love of sewing to my sister and her love of crochet to me. My mother still enjoys sewing and quilting and does a beautiful job at both. Thank you, Mom, for being there for me, and for all that you do for your family. I love you dearly!!!

No matter who we are or what we do, we are all still mothers that only want the best for our children. We simply want to see them grow up happy and to love what they do. Please tell me about your special mothers.

Hope you have a Happy Mother’s Day, too!