Monday, May 11, 2009

Teaching a Daughter to Crochet?

Teaching Daughters To Crochet


Can we talk about daughters? My daughter's name is Jennifer. I had Jennifer when I was 19 years old, and we sort of grew up together.

When she was born, I didn't work outside the home, but I did the housekeeping, cooking, and etc. For extra income, I sewed, embroidered, and crocheted for other people. It was something that I needed to do at the time. My daughter grew up with it all around her, from the whirring of the sewing machine to the embroidery hoop and flosses. She would actually take off running with the floss, and I would have to run after her.

I did everything for her. I helped her with her homework, cooked for her, took her to school, and picked her up after school. But when she asked me to teach her to crochet, I told her go visit her Grandma (my mother) and see if she would teach her. I just had no patience with her when it came to teaching her to cook, clean, or crochet. She tells people over and over again that she can't believe that I teach other people to crochet, but I can't even teach my own daughter. Now that I have been teaching for about three years, I have heard from other mothers that they have the same problem. They even bring their daughters to me to teach them. In spite of my not teaching Jennifer to crochet, she is a crochet fanatic, too, just like me!

I am so proud of my daughter. She is a single mom and a CNA at one of the local hospitals where she works third shift on the weekends so that she can be with her daughter (Megan) during the week. My little Megan is now taking the crochet hook from my daughter and wanting to try and crochet. She is only 6 years old. I can't wait for her to learn. Tell me about your daughters and how they learned (or didn't learn) to crochet.