Thursday, May 7, 2009

Embellishing with Crochet

Can we talk about embellishing? I love to embellish with crochet. The more you know me, the more you will know that as long as I can poke a hole in it, I will crochet on it. Sometimes the fabrics are easy to poke a hole in and other times very difficult. I have been known to use an awl or merely a size 13 steel crochet hook. Whatever it takes. I am a maniac when it comes to crocheting on things. I crochet on paper, sweaters, leather, etc.

 Crocheted circles

My sister and I were in Salt Lake City and getting ready for our day at the Quilt Market when she pulled out a shirt with a manufactured edging on it. I had been crocheting circles since I was going to teach some quilters how to crochet circles later, so I decided to add some small circles to the bottom of her top. What a hit. It was so cute. That is just one example of what you can do with crochet.

 Button Cards

I have taken button cards and crocheted on the edges, but you have to be very careful as the old button cards are very delicate and the holes can tear.

 Rick rack

more rick rack

I love to crochet on rick rack, too, and on the edges of sweaters.

 Yarn scraps

Everything that I make has to have a little crochet on it. I like to take the last bits of yarn from a project and make flowers, leaves, etc. and keep them in a glass jar until I find a purpose for them. I also have something pretty to look at and inspire me.

When my sister and I were in Houston in the fall of 2007 we were asked by Judy Murrah if we would like to stay after market and teach classes during the Festival the following year. Of course we said yes we would love to; they even asked me to come and teach crochet. We also had a chance to do some samplers. That is when you have a group of teachers all in the same room, and they give you a table to display your stuff on and a few chairs so that people can sit down while you do little demonstrations or lectures about what you are teaching. Well let me tell you, I had a table of sweaters and embellishments of all kinds. My setup was called, "What to Do With Your Tired Sweaters." Everyone loved it and got inspired by it.

 Tired Sweaters



I love to inspire other people to push themselves outside the box and make something all their own. All I know is, if you stand still long enough, I will crochet around the bottom of whatever you are wearing. So look out. Please send me some pictures of your things that you have embellished. I'd love to see what you're working on.