Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Fascination With Men Who Crochet

I have this fascination with men who crochet. I had a Great Aunt Pearl that crocheted beautiful tablecloths, bedspreads, doilies, and jackets, just to name a few things. They were mostly made with the Size 10 crochet thread. She gave all of her sisters one of her bedspreads, and she ONLY had eight sisters--can you imagine? I have made one bedspread, and I think that’s enough for me. Anyway, her husband, Uncle Chet, also crocheted, knitted, embroidered, and I'm not sure what all. But when we would go to visit them, he would be sitting there crocheting, and I was just fascinated to see that. I’m sad I don’t have a picture of him crocheting.

Leroy crocheting


When my new BF (Biggest Fan, Barbara) joined Crochet Soiree, she told me how her husband, Leroy, had been crocheting for 20 years, and she had only been crocheting for several months. I was so interested in finding out more about this man. Come to find out, he is a Viet Nam vet and has crocheted lots of things including afghans (some of which he has designed himself), granny squares (made these into many things), houseshoes (slippers), hats, dishcloths, and towel toppers.

Barbara said that he had recently put his crocheting away and had been helping her out with learning to crochet, but he had been so inspired by Crochet Soiree and that he wanted to pick it up again.

Barbara and I have started a contest under the groups here on Crochet Soiree, and Leroy wants to make a cup cover and use his own twist to my cup cover pattern. He is using crochet thread for the first time, and maybe we have inspired him enough to take crocheting back up. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with and some of his designs. Hopefully, he has some more pictures of his projects he can share with us.

Afghan Leroy crocheted


Here is a picture of the afghan that Leroy made. I just love the colors he chose. I would also love to hear about what all of the men out there are making and what inspires them.