Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Trip to Newton

The Beadery


The Friday before the 4th of July, my husband and I had the day off. So we decided to go to Newton, Kansas. Newton is a small town north of us and has a wonderful downtown area that has that old town feeling and lots to do and see. They have Charlotte’s Sew Natural quilt shop, the Etc. Shop, and The Beadery.

Fabric and Buttons


I love to go to Charlotte’s Sew Natural. Her shop covers two storefronts of a really cool old building. She has the best selection of fabric and buttons. I found everything that I was looking for to go with my crochet pieces. Charlotte was out of town celebrating her and her daughters’ birthdays, and I was sorry that I missed seeing them. Oh well, there’s always next time.

Crocheted Hanger


Collar Turner


The Etc. Shop is run by a church group, and it’s a second hand store. It’s always lots of fun to see all the vintage things that are in there. I always seem to find something that just has to go home with me. This visit, I found some hangers, plastic rings to crochet around, and this cute turquoise collar turner. You may not be able to see it very well, but the crocheted hanger has thread wrapped all the way up the hook of the hanger.

Row of Beads


The trip would not be complete without stopping off to see Julie at the Beadery. The fun thing about the Beadery is that she not only carries a wonderful selection of beads, but she also carries yarns.

Yarns and Sit and Stitch


You just feel welcome when you come in the door. I found some buttons for a crocheted top that I’m trying to finish up for my granddaughter, and my husband found some beads along with a peace sign pendant that he’s going to make into a necklace for me. I can’t wait because I’m just an old hippie at heart.

We ended the day by having lunch at a quaint restaurant called Reba's where all of the food is made with love. And the chef herself came around and greeted all of the customers personally, serving tea, water, clearing off tables, etc. We had a great time out, just the two of us.

Tell me about some of your adventures.