Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Ironing

Plaid Embroidered Tea Towel


I’m not sure if anyone else out there still irons, but I do. I love the crisp lines that ironing produces. I remember when I learned to iron. My mom would let me iron on plain pillowcases and handkerchiefs. As soon as she thought I was able, she added embroidered dresser scarves and pillowcases to my stack of ironing. I also remember the old black and silver iron that we used. It seemed so heavy for my small hands to hold, but I was determined and willing to keep trying. We also had a glass Pepsi bottle with a cork like stopper made out of aluminum with holes in it, and we used it to sprinkle each piece with a little water as our iron had no steam. My how times have changed. Now our irons have steam and a little sprinkler built right into them.

Stack of Ironing


Now that I have a family of my own, I still iron, but I find myself putting off the ironing for weeks at a time. I would much rather crochet. But just to entice myself to go ahead and tackle that stack of ironing, I will stick in a few embroidered things or crocheted items towards the bottom, so that I can see how crisp the little wrinkled up things become after ironing them. There’s nothing that makes me happier (except crochet) than to have all my laundry and ironing caught up. Next week, it starts all over again.