Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas 1962

Christmas 1962


This is one of my favorite pictures of my childhood, and it just happens to be Christmas 1962. I had just turned 6 years old as a matter-of-fact. This photo was probably taken on my birthday since no one else has gifts unwrapped. My mom always let me open a Christmas gift early for my birthday. I’m not sure if it was an extra gift or just one of my Christmas presents. I really didn’t think about it back then. Did you notice I received my very first iron that actually worked? That must have been the beginning of my love/hate relationship with ironing. Ha! Ha! I love how the walls of the room were not finished and look at the size of that tree. I think my brothers must have climbed one of the cedar trees on our property, cut the top out, and brought it in for us to decorate it. We didn’t have much, but all I know is that I never felt like I didn’t have what I needed. I’m very grateful to my mom and daddy for all that they did for all of us and how they did the best that they could. You can see it in our faces how happy we all were.

Our Christmases now consist of spending time with our own large and small families. For the past couple of years, my daughter Jennifer and my granddaughter Megan have come over and spent Christmas Eve night with Gran Gran and Poppy, so they can be here for Christmas morning. I get up early so that I can get in a little crochet before everyone else wakes up, and I also stick something in the oven for lunch. After all the gifts are unwrapped, my mom and daddy join us for lunch. After lunch, I take my Daddy upstairs and put him down for a nap, and as I cover him up, I give him a kiss just like he did me all those many nights when I was a little girl.

Tell me about your Christmas memories.