Monday, December 28, 2009

Crochet Shrug Turned into Jacket

Off White Shrug


I made this jacket as a shrug for my sister to wear in her first International Quilt Market booth in 2005. A couple of years earlier, we had seen some manufactured crocheted jackets made in a foreign country at a local boutique. Jackie was going to buy one, but I said, “No, I’ll make you one that I design myself.” Then she said, “What about adding onto the shrug that you made me a couple of years ago?” And that’s how this jacket was created.

She gave me the shrug, and I took it home and started adding crocheted lace trims and edgings from some of my vintage crochet books inherited from my Grandma Vada. Then, I remembered that the shrug wouldn’t close in the front because of shrinkage, and so I added one of the edgings up the front. I also used several different weights of thread and yarn. Two of my favorite sizes and kinds; Aunt Lydias size 10 cotton thread in white and ecru, and DMC Senso size 3 in linen and cotton. (You can find all of these in the Crochet Soiree store.) My sister added the handmade and designed by her fabric flower for just that special touch to hold it all together. No, I didn’t write the pattern for this, and no, I don’t want to make another one, and no it’s not for sale. (But thanks for asking, ha! ha!)

I loved making this and seeing all the layers grow and become one piece, and adding the last row all the way around just to tie it all together was so much fun. Then, in 2008, I read about the CGOA Design Contest and decided to enter this design. I didn’t win anything, but the best part of it all was that my sister and I collaborated on it, and I made something for her to cherish forever.