Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Crochet Bead Necklace

Crochet Bead Necklace


I am always complaining to my husband about his being so easily sidetracked. But sometimes I can get sidetracked, too, like this time. I think I have told everyone that my husband makes jewelry, and the day before Thanksgiving, he received a shipment of some beads. He wanted to show them to me, and sometimes I like them, and other times they just don’t interest me. My husband and I usually have totally opposite tastes in things. So when he showed me this tube of little ceramic beads, I was surprised that I liked them so much. I was so anxious to see what I could make with them that I had a hard time getting to my size 10 crochet hook quick enough so that I could see if it would fit in the hole of the bead.

Then, I sent my husband to the store for some last minute items for Thanksgiving dinner prep and set out to crochet these little beads together. I just loved how the little ceramic beads looked like little spools of thread. I crocheted every one of those 80 beads onto the necklace and then found some more little round beads to add, and I made them dangle. I wanted something in the middle to hang down, but didn’t know yet what that might be.

By the time that my husband came back from the store, I already had all the ceramic beads crocheted together and was adding the first dangles. I asked him to find me some odds and ends of things that might work in the middle, and he brought me some cool little things. I searched around in my things, too, and found a little charm that my friend Steph made me from one of my crochet edged button cards and decided to hang that in the middle along with the word Jesus in the shape of a fish.

I love how none of this was calculated or thought out. I just went with the moment and enjoyed every minute of my sidetracked project. Sometimes these projects don’t work out, and I have a whole bunch of those tucked away in a basket somewhere, but sometimes they turn out like this one.

Does anyone else get carried away in the moment like I do? I would love to hear your stories about your fun projects.