Monday, December 7, 2009

Lessons Learned

Scarf and Sock


This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

I made this scarf last Spring, and I made it out of some fuzzy cotton yarn. I love zigzag and ripple patterns and decided to change colors on every row and repeat it. I got a rhythm going and didn’t stop to weave in my ends. I decided when I had crocheted as long as I wanted that I would take a shortcut and not weave the ends in. Instead I would fold the scarf over. tucking the ends in and adding a row of single crochet all around through both thicknesses.

I wore my scarf for the first time this week and found that the fuzz was getting in my nose, so decided that I would launder it. I found that I had just a few other articles of clothing that I could throw in with it and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I was trying to take a shortcut again, and as you can see, all the ends that didn’t get woven in are now sticking out all over and all the fuzz that came off of the yarn is now on the few clothes that I threw in with the scarf.

Before I can put things away or iron my husband’s shirt, I will have to take a fuzzbuster to it and my socks and underwear, too! Ha! Ha! I just made more work for myself by taking these two shortcuts.

Lesson learned: don’t launder cotton crochet yarn pieces with any other clothing and always make sure to weave your ends in. Has anyone ever done something like this or am I the only one?