Saturday, December 5, 2009

Teaching My Sister-in-Law Ricci to Crochet

Ricci and Me


Ricci and I have been friends for almost 20 years. As a matter-of-fact, she introduced me to her brother almost 20 years ago. Anyway, Ricci has always admired everything that I make. Every time she comes to our house, she has to look at everything I’ve been working on and always comments that she wants whatever I’ve made. I’ve made her a few things, and she loves them. She always says that she wishes that she could make things, but her grandmother tried to teach her and told her that she couldn’t sit still long enough to learn, and she just eventually gave up on her. I have heard this same thing from her for as long as I can remember.

So last Saturday Ricci came over and said the same thing again, but this time I decided that I was going to try and teach her to crochet. I went and got an extra hook and a skein of yarn from my stash and made a swatch of 20 single crochet and 10 rows long and handed her the hook and the fabric and said, "I’m going to show you how to crochet, and you’re going to sit still until you learn."

Ricci Catching On


Before an hour and a half was up, she understood the concept of a single crochet and chain. She still wasn’t quite ready to go to another stitch or start from the beginning. But I did send her on her way with a hook and the yarn and told her to practice until she felt really comfortable with both of them. Hopefully she will bring it back, and we’ll start on a half double and then a double.

Shhh! Don’t tell her, but I think I’ll get her the I Can’t Believe I’m Crocheting dvd and book for Christmas. I can’t wait to see all the cool color combinations she’ll come up with. Tell me about someone you’ve taught to crochet.