Friday, August 14, 2009

Free Pattern Friday: Whimsical Box Turtle

Free Crochet Pattern Turtle 800951


For this Free Crochet Pattern Friday Box Turtle pattern, I remembered I had some stash yarn from the amigurumi animals that I had made, so I pulled out the green that I had made a frog out of. I knew I didn’t have enough yarn to make the top of the turtle, but it doesn’t matter because I like to mix things up anyway. I started making the bottom and had just finished the legs, when my husband came in and asked me what I was making. I told him that I was making a crocheted turtle that is made into a candy dish. He said that’s nice, but don’t you have to put a bowl or dish inside of it. I told him I didn’t know because sometimes I just don’t read all of the material list or the directions before I get started.

So I decided to check the directions out and read ahead to the assembly part of the pattern. Well it said to use a soda bottle cut a certain way, so I thought ok, and I started reading the materials list, and it calls for a 2-liter soda bottle. Oh well. My turtle is a baby turtle since I made it with light weight yarn rather than the worsted weight called for by the pattern, so I used a 16 oz. plastic water bottle for my candy dish.

My version of box turtle


Here’s my version. It's still cute, and the fun thing about it is that it’s crocheted and around here we don’t need a lot of candy!